People Who Like Us

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Looking for a New Old Show?

     My greatest apologies to all of you out on the internet looking for reviews of the newest TV shows and movies (as if there aren't already a thousand others you can't go and read) but I cannot supply you with that. I do not have cable service, and I rarely go to the movies. In fact, I have only been to the theatre 4 times in my entire life. Three of those are because they are a trilogy that I REALLY enjoy (see if you can guess ;) and the fourth was because I had one night and not many options, so me and my brother went to see The Winter Soldier. All of that being said, I cannot bring you reviews of the most recent and most trending, because I have not seen them. I suppose I could still review them... un-honestly... hehe. ANYways, I thought that since I can't give you a review of the most recent, I'd review a show that has passed its time that you may not have seen. People seem to always be looking for a show to binge watch on Netflix.  So have you have ever heard of Numb3rs? And yes this has something to do with math, but don't all of you who hate math just dismiss the show and click away. I know people who are by no means math fans who really enjoy the show, so keep on reading and decide if the show is for you!




      Charlie Epps is a math genius, and has been for all of his life.  His brother Don Epps, even though he felt overshadowed throughout his childhood by his child genius brother, has grown up and is a successful FBI agent. The two professions seem to not really be related, but the power of mathematics is as great as it is surprising. The two brothers who have some friction in their relationship, team up and catch criminals with skill and math. How in the world can a mathematician aid in solving crimes? Well you'll have to watch the show to find out!
   

     I didn't really know what to think of the show when I had just heard the concept, I thought that the math in it would be totally far fetched and not have much bearing on reality. Fortunately, I was wrong. While I cannot vouch that all of the math in the show is all totally real, because it is all way over my head, the explanations of most of the math applications are actually reasonable and its conceivable even to me that math can be used in such ways.
     This of course is not the only thing that the show has going for it though, the acting is very good for the most part, especially Charlie, but the others do their job well too. In addition to the acting and interesting concepts, the character dynamics are good as well. Even though Charlie and Don had a rough growing up, through the show they get closer and have a healthy relationship. In addition they both also have good relationship with their father.
    It's all easier watched then said though, so instead of me trying to explain what I like and don't like about it, I suggest you try it out for yourself and see what you think. If you are concerned with content though, wait until after you read the next section of course.
     As far as content goes, I was very pleased with the first season to find a great lack of bad content. Cussing was fairly sparse, but also nothing to gloss over. There are occasional uses of various profanities in throughout, but it was low enough that it was a refreshing lack thereof. As far as sexual content goes, like I said the first season for the most part lacked it, but I was disappointed to find that as I continued to watch the show (and go back and watch episodes I had missed because my family watched without me) that they certainly weren't above content and a few times they throw in a surprising scene that I would have rather not seen. It does of course stay within its rating limits though.
     In addition to that, some episodes deal with sensitive crimes that are obviously not suited for children, and the episodes vary in how they far they go with it.
     So basically the conclusion is its not the cleanest, and those easily influenced and young children I think should not watch this show. However if you think you can handle it (and censor things for yourself as I did) I think you will enjoy all of the good aspects of this show.  And with six seasons you have plenty to watch!
     If you've already seen the show what did you think of it? If you're just trying it out you can also tell me what you think? If you haven't seen it, does it seem interesting,  or does it seem like something that's just not your thing? Join in the conversation and comment below!

Thank you for reading!

-John Watson








No comments:

Post a Comment