People Who Like Us

Thursday, January 29, 2015

     In light of the upcoming Super Bowl, we here at P.S. This Is For You, are bringing you a series of themed posts. So can you guess what the theme is? You got that right, smarty pants, the super bowl!
     Now I am not really much of football guy, and I haven't watched any Super Bowl football movies, but I have watched a few Super Bowls in my time. With those super bowls I have seen comes the commercials. The commercials that are nearly as big of a deal as the Super Bowl itself. So on Terrible or Terrific Thursday, I am bringing you a review of Super Bowl commercials.

   

     Instead of only doing a few review of specific commercials, or spending an eternity reviewing them all, I will simply cover them as a whole and how they have evolved. In my opinion, they have been losing their luster in more recent years. Nearly a decade ago, I remember hilarious commercial after hilarious commercial, and most of them being beer ads, quite frankly. The funny commercials are not exclusive to Bud Light though. I recall Snickers ads, Doritos ads, and ads for companies that at the time didn't mean anything to me, all being hilarious. I am sure some I have completely forgotten  others. The last few Super Bowls I have watched though (including last year) didn't completely lose quality of the funny commercials, but it did seem to lose quantity.
     Certainly there were some funny ones, and the beer commercials did not disappoint, but the commercials seemed to be dominated by either serious commercials, or those cheap kind of humor commercials that are supposed to be funny but only ever leave you saying either "that was really stupid" or "they spent way too much money on that." There were also a few that were clever business wise (I am looking at you Ford Fusion and James Franco), but not really funny.
     All of this being said the commercials of the Super Bowls are certainly to be remembered and even in my disappoint for a lack of funny commercials recently, there is always the next Super Bowl to hope for the best. Or in this case the Super Bowl in a few days.
     So Terrible or Terrific? Well a mix of both. As a whole though I definitely have to say that Super Bowl commercials are in fact Terrific.
     Do you agree with my opinion on Super Bowl commercials and a lack of recent funny ones? Feel free to contradict me, correct me, and start the discussion in the comments below. Happy Super Bowl!

-John Watson






No comments:

Post a Comment